One of the many things that intrigued me in this class was the music of the people in Ecuador. Listening to the imbabura harp, and the way they structured their melodic lines was so fascinating to me. I could have listened to the first piece we listened to for quite some time before getting bored. I was also intrigued by the music of the Arab World. I love the way that the maqams are used, and I find the theory completely fascinating. I would love nothing more than to get to study maqams far more in depth, and I intend to acquire an oud so that I can really delve into that field of study. It is just so cool to think about.
I think that up until this class, I took harmony for granted. It never occurred to me that that was a very Western thing to do, musically speaking. It has always been a big part of the music I've listened to and performed, especially being a choir kid, and it never occurred to me that we were somewhat unique in that aspect. It was also eye opening to think about the fact that we, as a culture, view music differently than other cultures do. It makes sense, but that's not something that I had even considered before hand. It's interesting how closed minded I can be sometimes, just because it doesn't occur to me how different some things can be from culture to culture. That's part of the reason I like courses like this one so much, because it offers an opportunity to be aware of what the rest of the world is like, and it forces me to think outside my own little bubble. and for that I am grateful.
This course has inspired me to learn more about Arabic music. I have always had a fascination for the Arab world, and through my political studies and Model Programs, this interest has only intensified. I knew before this class that I enjoyed the aesthetic value of Arabic music, but I had no idea how complex and intriguing their music theory was. Now that I know, I feel compelled to really study the music theory and get to a point where I understand it. I think in some aspects it will be easier than Western theory, because harmonies aren't really a factor to consider and all of the maqams are locked into specific pitches. However, there are, I believe, something like 72 different maqams, and they are so interrelated and specific as to their formation, and these are all essentially scales, making the music so incredibly complex. I am completely fascinated. Also I have decided that I need to own an oud as well as a doumbek. I also need to study abroad, partly because I think that would be the most efficient way to learn, but also because I would love nothing more than to go to the Middle East. This was just really exciting to learn about.
I'm so glad this class opened some windows for you, Grace. I think the idea of exploring Arabic theory for your senior project is a great one, as is the idea of studying abroad.
ReplyDelete