Grace: When and where did you experience music outside of your home growing up?
Mom: Probably when I was either in the church choir when I was little, and what I really remember was being exposed was when I was in kindergarten or first grade.
G: What sort of music were you exposed to at home?
M: You know, it was just the regular, I mean grandmother listened to music on the radio, we listened to KVIL, just the regular everyday 70s music. It wasn't the hard rock, but just regular modern music.
G: What music were you not allowed to listen to at home?
M: Growing up, they wouldn't let us listen to trendy music in the car. We were allowed to listen to it in our bedrooms, but not in the car. Not Cindy Lauper or Led Zeppelin, they didn't want to hear that.
G: Did you ever learn music on your own?
M: I guess in 7th grade when I played flute in the band.
G: Is there any family tradition of musical performing?
M: No.
G: How often did you go to concerts, and what concerts were they?
M: We didn't go to concerts unless it was for school or a field trip. That was one thing we just didn't do. We went to concerts at Six Flags in elementary school, because we had passes, but it was only if your grandparents liked whoever was playing. I went to concerts when your dad and I started dating. Dad and I went to Edge Fest, and went to festivals and stuff. We went to bars to listen to bands play.
G: Did you ever use music to pass the time while working?
M: Yes. We played music at the office, yes.
G: Was music incorporated into your daily life?
M: Generally, it was just listening to it on the radio.
G: Was there a time when music comforted you?
M: Oh yeah. If I broke up with a boyfriend, we'd listen to sappy music. I remember being at the roller rink and them playing sappy music because somebody broke up with somebody.
G: What type of music did you dance to?
M: Just pop music. Whatever was popular at the time.
G: Have your listening preferences changed over the course of your life?
M: Yes. Well now I listen to a lot of jazz and big bands, and country, and some contemporary music, but I'm not really into contemporary music. I don't necessarily enjoy classical music, but I do listen to it to calm myself.
G: Do you feel your listening preferences influenced other areas of your life?
M: No, because MTV and all that wasn't big until I was in junior high.
G: Did anyone/anything ever discourage you from listening to your music?
M: Oh, your grandparents. They just didn't like what we were listening to, it just wasn't allowed. I just snuck it and listened to it in my bedroom.
Oh, wow--I remember KVIL! I used to listen to it on my drives into Fort Worth for lessons. I also think it's generational to have listened to the radio so much. I'm not sure young folk today really get how much we all just "listened to the radio."
ReplyDeleteI think it’s interesting that both your grandmother and mother listened to music on the radio. We are so lucky now to have such a variety of music styles on the radio. I wonder if the variety we have today is greater than what our moms had.
ReplyDeleteGrace! It's funny how many posts I've read that talk about musical involvement in some sense of the church setting, that and sneaking around to listen to other music :)
ReplyDeleteI can kind or relate to your mom because I know that there is some music that my parents just won't let me listen to when I'm in the car with them but it doesn't bother them if I listen to it alone. It's kind of weird.
ReplyDeleteHi Grace!
ReplyDeleteIt made me smile when I read what your mom said about listening to sappy music after a breakup. I wonder if she used this music to cheer her up or to wallow in her despair. ;) It's interesting that you mom doesn't really care for classical music, but she listens to it to calm her down. I think a lot of people treat classical music this way...to "calm their passions". wink wink!